Monday, April 16, 2012

Blog Post #10

Before I watched the video Do you Teach or Do you Educate I thought a teacher and an educator were basically the same thing. After watching the video, I realized to teach and to educate are definitely two different things. The video defined a teacher as someone who shows or explains how to do something. An educator was defined as someone who illuminates, enlightens, inspires, and empowers. Someone who gives intellectual, moral, and social instruction. Clearly after seeing both to teach and to educate defined, I realized as a teacher we must educate.

Although I am no longer an education major, I realize the point this video is trying to make. There are many teachers out there that know the facts but do not educate the students. It is not enough to just know the facts! A teacher can not just give a student pen and paper and expect results. A teacher must encourage, inspire, and drive students to learn. This may mean stepping out and getting creative, but if teaching is for you, you will be willing to do this and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment